Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lacey Lake

     ""It was the summer of 1962. I was nearly 12 1/2 years old and felt strange things happening to me. At last I could ride my new, lightweight, 3 speed, English bicycle with limited effort, making it easier to peddle to Lacey Lake's Resort. The four mile ride there, and the four mile ride home was good exercise for my legs. It was early summer as I coasted down the hill to the parking area at the Resort. I parked my bike and walked over to sit on one of the picnic tables.
    At first, there didn't seem to be anyone around. It was a small, back roads, Michigan lake with a house built close to the water that had a small store built on the lakeside. It was a small resort with several picnic tables, an old bathhouse close to the narrow beach. I heard the store's screen door slam and looked up to see a beautiful young girl leaving the store. She looked over at me, smiled, and with a sweet, Texas accent said, "Hi. How y'all doing?"
    It was at that very instant that I realized I was no longer going to be quite the dedicated farm boy to my dad I had been in the past. My mind did a flip from tractors to girls. She was so cute, and had the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. Plus, the sexiest accent I had ever heard! "I'm doing great!" I responded. "Do you live around here?"
    "We live in Texas. We only come up for the summer. It's a lot cooler here than Texas summers.  I'm staying over there in my grandparent's mobile home. Do you live around here?"
    "I live on a farm a couple of roads from here. Maybe we'll see more of each other this summer. I come here swimming quite often."    

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. That is so sweet...I remember your laugh and funny way of saying things What a blessing it is to be able to share our childhood memories with each other after all these years...the accent is gone, the eyes need glasses, but I still enjoy swimming in the lake.

    ok..you can say seen anytime you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Anonymous,
    If you want to use your name, or another...go to google.com. It's free. Or, you can create an email using gmail.com. Thank you for editing for me. I corrected the title's location and changed seen to saw. It's hard to believe we met Fifty years ago! As soon as I think of something else to write, I'll get started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Dad...never heard that story. Great memory! LOL Anonymous, my Dad said you would like to create an acct. All you have to do is go to google.com and then click sign in at the upper right corner. On the next page, you will see a login for username and password. In the upper right hand corner, it will say...sign up for a new google acct. You then proceed to do that. It will give you a g mail acct (which is for e mail). This will give you any e mails you receive from google or blogging. That's how to create one. Any additional questions, feel free to ask. :D ~Holly (Roger's daughter)

    ReplyDelete